Tuesday, December 29, 2015

December/Christmas Book Haul

This is a mixture of books that I've gotten this month and a few that I got at the end of November. I haven't done a book haul since the summer so this is long overdue. I have a lot of books here! Prepare yourself, here we go!
1. Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning
I actually just bought this book yesterday with one of my Barnes and Noble gift cards! This is the fifth book in the Fever series. This series is ADDICTING. I started the first book and finished it in a day. I couldn't stop reading! The first book is Darkfever and you should really check it out. In my opinion the series is like an adult version of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. Romance, action, THE FAE, you have it all in this series.



2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 
This is one of my favorite classics. My roommate got me the special Penguin edition for Christmas and I love it with all my heart! It's so beautiful my picture really doesn't do it justice.





3. Poison Study, Magic Study, and Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder
I got these three books for Christmas! I read the first book about a year ago on my kindle and I loved it. For some reason I just haven't gotten around to reading the other books. A lot of people love this series so I'm hoping I'll be able to finish it over my winter break. But I think I need to reread the first book because I have no idea what happened. All I can remember is that it's a lot like Throne of Glass and I loved Valek. Yep, that's all I remember.

4. Frostfire and Ice Kissed  by Amanda Hocking
I got both of these books really cheap on BookOutlet (the BEST book buying website). I started the first book, Frostfire, but I kind of got sidetracked with finals and other books (like the Fever series ;)). This is another young adult fantasy read and I've been told I should read Hocking's other series first before I read this one. I might do that because I only got 20 pages into Frostfire and I was a little confused.

5. Jackaby by William Ritter
I've only heard great things about this book. I also purchased this on BookOutlet and I'm so happy I found it on there. I've heard it's kind of like a mix of Doctor Who and Sherlock Holmes set in the late 19th century. I'm really excited about this one because I love books that are set in the Victorian era in England, it's an addiction. I hope I like it but honestly I already know I will.

6. The House by Christina Lauren 
I got this book way back in November I think. This was kind of like an impulse buy because I wasn't planning on buying it but the blurb made it sound so good! I started a little of it but I wasn't really grabbed by it, partly because there was insta-love, which I hate. I'm hoping to give it another chance because it seems creepy and interesting.

7. Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson
Another book that I've heard great things about! A lot of people have been telling me this was their favorite book of 2015, so I really need to read it. It's supposed to be sort of like a fantasy mixed in with historical fiction, which is a combination that I always love. I think it takes place in the American west in the Gold Rush era. I've only read one other young adult western and that was Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman. I think westerns have the potential to become the next big YA market because there really aren't a lot of them out there.

8. Wolf By Wolf by Ryan Graudin
I JUST BOUGHT THIS YESTERDAY AND I AM SO EXCITED. I'll probably read this once I'm done with Shadowfever....The basic concept is that the story takes place after World War II and instead of the Allies winning the war, the Axis Powers have won the war. Meaning that Hitler is still alive and in control. I've always wanted to read a book that has to do with an alternate reality where Germany didn't lose WWII. Last semester I took a class focusing on Nazi Germany so I am excited to put my knowledge from that into reading this book.  

9. A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston 
I've been reading this since November....but I never hauled it which is why I am including it in this post. I've really been having a tough time trying to finish books lately. This is really good it's just that I started the Fever series and ughhhh. This book is a retelling of A Thousand and One Nights like The Wrath and the Dawn (one of my favorite books of 2015). It's really good I just once again got pulled down with work and distracted by other books. But I will finish it soon!

10. Instructions for the End of the World by Jamie Kain
I got this book for Christmas and I really wanted it! I've been seeing ok reviews about it but I really want to read it and see for myself how it is. The summary clicked with me and I was immediately interested. It has to do with a girl and her sister who are moved to a rural area because their father believes that the end of the world is upon them. This book is definitely a contemporary mixed in with some adventure. I really can't wait to read it.

11. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
I'm a little late on this one....Do I even need to explain this book? I suppose I do. This is kind of a spin-off of Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. If you've read  that then you'll completely understand the premise of this book but I do not think that you need to read Fangirl in order to read this book. I love Rainbow Rowell's writing so I'm really excited to read this.

12. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Illustrated Edition by J.K. Rowling, illustrated by Jim Kay
IT'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL. If you saw my holiday book tag you'd know that I really wanted this book for Christmas. Well, I got it and I can't stop looking at it. It's magnificent.



Before I end this haul I also want to share this really amazing bookmark that my sister gave me for Christmas!



I love mermaids so she found this awesome mermaid tale bookmark! It came all the way from Ukraine, the store is called MyBOOKmark! You should check out the crafter's etsy here! And she's having a sale so I'd totally check it out!! :)


There you have it folks my December book haul! Hope you enjoyed it! What books did you get this month?







1 comment:

  1. Really liked your book haul idea. Now I am thinking to host a similar themed party at local lofty spaces for this Christmas. Even last year hosted a similar party and everyone appreciated my efforts. Was looking for something unique like this for this time.

    ReplyDelete